Monday, June 28, 2010

8: The Mormon Proposition

In the spirit of this past Pride Weekend in San Francisco (and New York, and San Diego, and Chicago, etc.) I watched a movie that was a huge hit at this year's Frameline LGBT Film Festival in SF (thank you, Netflix, for getting the quick release to me). And all I have to say is: wow. Very heartfelt, sweet, sad, political, activist, personal, educational, enlightening, frightening, moving. This documentary exposes the deeply entrenched role of the Mormon Church in the recently passed and still legally embattled Proposition 8 that defined marriage in the state constitution of California as only a man and a woman. The news of the Mormon involvement in the political campaign made headlines ($22 million spent on anything would), but one of the most terrifying revelations in this movie was how the Mormons were involved in the similar political debate in Hawaii back in1996, and had plotted this proposition in California for years ever since that one.

Really made me think, made me weepy, made me angry, made me hopeful (for the individuals, politicians, reporters, intellectuals, families, and organizations shown fighting back on this issue), and made me want to watch it again (with a fresh box of tissues, just in case). Another important movie to watch and learn from...please.

More on "8: The Mormon Proposition" at IMDB:

No comments:

Post a Comment